By David O. Williams
Real AspenJune 14, 2011

There's more bad news for water watchers in the Rocky Mountain West, where record snowpack from last winter has led to a dangerous runoff in some places, including Colorado's Western Slope. The bad news is this season is apparently a statistical blip in a 30-year historical decline in Rocky Mountain snowpack, which provide between 60 and 80 percent of the water supply for the 70 million people living in the western United States.

According to a study released late last week by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), steady declines in Rocky Mountain snowpack over the past three decades are highly unusual when compared to previous centuries. USGS scientists teamed up with scientists at the University of Arizona, University of Washington, University of Wyoming and the University of Western Ontario to produce a study entitled “The Unusual Nature of Recent Snowpack Declines in the North American Cordillera,” which is available online at Science Magazine.

The report relied on snowpack reconstructions produced by studying 66 tree-ring chronologies dating back from 500 to more than 1,000 years. With the exception of the mid-14th and early 15th centuries, the snowpack reconstructions revealed that the northern Rockies saw larger snowpacks when the southern Rockies saw smaller ones, and vice versa. But over the last 30 years there were simultaneous declines in both the south and the north, with unusually big declines in the north.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar

“Over most of the 20th century, and especially since the 1980s, the northern Rockies have borne the brunt of the snowpack losses,” said USGS scientist Gregory Pederson, the lead author of the study. “Most of the land and snow in the northern Rockies sits at lower and warmer elevations than the southern Rockies, making the snowpack more sensitive to seemingly small increases in temperature. Also, winter storm tracks were displaced to the south in the early 20th century and post-1980s. Forest fires were larger, more frequent and harder to fight, while Glacier National Park lost 125 of its 150 glaciers.”

U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, a former Colorado senator, issued this statement on the USGS report:

“This scientific work is critical to understanding how climate change is affecting western water supplies,” Salazar said. “It helps land managers adapt to changing conditions on the ground, assists water managers with planning for the future, and gives all of us a better understanding of the real impacts that carbon pollution is having on our resources and our way of life.”

The news is apparently nearly as bad in the southern Rockies. A separate report recently produced by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in conjunction with seven states that rely on the Colorado River Basin (including Colorado), found water supplies in the basin may decline by up to 20 percent by the middle of this century. That's produced a lot of hand wringing by water policymakers over the future of the 1922 Colorado River Compact, as chronicled today by veteran water reporter Allen Best of Mountain Town News.

comments: 17 Comments on "Salazar cites USGS report on decreasing snowpack in Rockies, sounds 'carbon pollution' alarm"

milnerjames – June 01, 2022, at 6:53 a.m.

Wow! It is really interesting to know this. I have never thought about this and have got such a wide range of applications. It is the first time I am hearing that the industry is using the similar techniques for the public. life coach

lepetiw688 – Aug. 27, 2022, at 4:14 a.m.

I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Bestseller

lepetiw688 – Aug. 29, 2022, at 6:37 a.m.

I think this is best for you: Soccer, Football, Highlight, Live Streaming 부산출장안마

lepetiw688 – Aug. 30, 2022, at 2:57 a.m.

Found your blog in the Google bulk turtleneck shirts directory, very nice job, thanks. grain bucket elevator

lepetiw688 – Aug. 30, 2022, at 7:17 a.m.

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks Retinol

lepetiw688 – Sept. 01, 2022, at 4:39 a.m.

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely must i encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your notion is outstanding; the issue is an issue that too little individuals are speaking intelligently about. My business is very happy we found this during my search for some thing concerning this. เล่นบาคาร่า

lepetiw688 – Sept. 01, 2022, at 6:27 a.m.

“I precisely needed to say thanks yet again. I am not sure what I could possibly have created in the absence of those tactics provided by you on this situation. Completely was the fearsome scenario in my view, but taking a look at a new expert tactic you resolved the issue forced me to jump for contentment. Now i am happier for the support and as well , pray you find out what a powerful job you are always accomplishing teaching men and women through your web page. I know that you haven’t got to know all of us.” Honden forum: Vachtverzorging honden

lepetiw688 – Sept. 03, 2022, at 10:55 a.m.

It is very interesting topic you’ve written here . The truth I’m not related to this, but I think is a good opportunity to learn more about, And as well talk about a different topic to which I used to talk with others 의정부출장마사지

lepetiw688 – Sept. 04, 2022, at 3:55 a.m.

An interesting discussion will be worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you can write much more about this topic, it will not certainly be a taboo subject but normally persons are too little to communicate on such topics. Yet another. Cheers how do you watch live tv on your phone

lepetiw688 – Sept. 05, 2022, at 7:52 a.m.

Get upset! Simply letting the quota happen isn’t acceptable. This will help you stay above the curve. 광주출장마사지

lepetiw688 – Sept. 08, 2022, at 6:34 p.m.

A blog like yours should be earning much money from adsense..-.,” iso agent

lepetiw688 – Sept. 12, 2022, at 12:10 p.m.

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I?ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure I?ll learn a lot of new stuff right hear Best of luck for the next! packers and movers bangalore to mumbai

lepetiw688 – Sept. 13, 2022, at 5:29 a.m.

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful blogs on the internet. I am going to recommend this web site! Upskill talent

lepetiw688 – Sept. 15, 2022, at 5:43 a.m.

A remarkable discussion merits a comment. I feel that you need to write much more about this subject, it may well not be regarded as a taboo issue however normally people are inadequate to speak on such topics. To another. Adios for now roof maintenance

lepetiw688 – Sept. 15, 2022, at 11:06 a.m.

So, naturally, with these two together, movie magic is accomplished. PVC pipes

lepetiw688 – Sept. 22, 2022, at 6:43 a.m.

Just wish to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is simply nice and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work. iso/msp programs

lepetiw688 – Oct. 01, 2022, at 7:53 a.m.

Just killing some in between class time on facebook and I discovered your article . Not normally what I desire to examine, nevertheless it was absolutely worth my time. Thanks. How do I subscribe to your blog? how to become an iso for merchant services