Real AspenMarch 19, 2011
In the end, Mother Nature and the International Ski Federation (FIS) decided the overall World Cup title, handing the globe to Germany's Maria Riesch over Vail's Lindsey Vonn by a scant three points when the final giant slalom was canceled today because of “an insufficiently solid racing base due to rain, warm temperatures and fog” in Lenzerheide, Switzerland.

“Win or lose I just wanted the chance. I feel devastated,” Vonn said of her derailed bid to win an American record fourth straight overall title. She raged back from a 216-point deficit on Feb. 25 to take the overall lead by 23 points after Wednesday's World Cup Finals downhill.

Vail's Lindsey Vonn congratulates her friend and rival Maria Riesch of Germany after losing the overall title by three points when today's World Cup Finals giant slalom was canceled due to warm, wet weather.
U.S. Ski Team

Then terrible ski racing conditions scrubbed Thursday's super G – an event Vonn has dominated this season – and Riesch reclaimed the lead by three points by finishing fourth in Friday's slalom. Vonn was 13th. Races are not made up at World Cup Finals, and so today's canceled GS means Riech wins her first overall title with 1,728 points to 1,725 for Vonn – the tightest margin since Anja Paerson beat Janica Kostelic by three points in 2005.

“I'm extremely proud to have been in the fight for what was one of the most exciting seasons in ski racing history,” said Vonn, a Ski and Snowboard Club Vail product. “A few weeks ago I was over 200 points behind and I was able to battle back into the overall lead with just two races remaining.”

Vonn wound up winning three of the five season discipline globes – downhill, super G and super combined – and eight regular season races. Riesch didn't win any of the season discipline globes and had two fewer regular season wins (six), but she was so consistent this season that the German was able to claim the overall globe.

“I'm proud of defending the downhill, super G and super combined titles and I was ready to fight for what could have been a record fourth overall,” Vonn said. “Maria had an outstanding season and again proved to be my biggest competitor. She's worked really hard for this. I'm happy for her and every athlete who stood on the top step this season.”

Vonn said having cancellations decide outcomes is a black eye for the sport.

“The cancelation of this race doesn't just hurt me, it hurts the fans and the sport of ski racing as a whole,” Vonn said, admitting she'll have to work that much harder in the tech events of GS and slalom to reclaim the overall globe next season. “There are so many ways to look at this. There may never be a day where I don't look back and say 'what if?' But right now all I'm thinking about is how much harder I need to work this summer to continue winning races. I love ski racing.”

Head coach Alex Hoedlmoser also expressed his disappointment that more effort wasn't made to run today's GS.

“I feel so sorry for Lindsey. We should have tried everything possible to get this race off. It's disappointing that there wasn't more effort to delay and see if there was an opportunity to run,” he said. “Just to call it in the morning wasn't the right way to go. This is a tough day for Lindsey and the sport of ski racing.”

comments: 19 Comments on "Vail's Vonn 'devastated' by GS cancellation that hands overall title to Riesch by just 3 points"

bnasd – April 04, 2022, at 3:10 a.m.

What is an outstanding post! “I’ll be back” (to read more of your content). Thanks for the nudge! न्यूजीलैंड वीजा आवेदन ऑनलाइन

SEO Backlinks1 – June 24, 2022, at 1:55 a.m.

Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. MayUmbaNationalpark

SEO Backlinks1 – June 25, 2022, at 1:19 a.m.

I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... SEO Optimization

SEO Backlinks1 – June 26, 2022, at 4:33 a.m.

Buying perfume from the UK has never been easier. Whever you are in the world, you can now shop for Good Girl Perfume Dossier​.co using Forwardvia and use Forwardvia to ship the dangerous goods to your door step. Good Girl Perfume Dossier​.co

SEO Backlinks1 – June 28, 2022, at 1:57 p.m.

I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. voyancemargot.com

SEO Backlinks1 – July 08, 2022, at 2:43 a.m.

I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon… jewellery

SEO Backlinks1 – July 16, 2022, at 7:21 a.m.

It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. best potty training seats

SEO Backlinks1 – July 18, 2022, at 4:08 a.m.

There's no doubt i would fully rate it after i read what is the idea about this article. You did a nice job.. Gestion d'entreprise

SEO Backlinks1 – July 20, 2022, at 3:45 a.m.

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. interior design course online

farhan – July 20, 2022, at 6:05 a.m.

This is a great way to gauge the entry accuracy of the rifle you are considering buying, before you purchase it. pistols for sale online

SEO Backlinks1 – July 21, 2022, at 1:51 a.m.

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. https://startupo.fr/course/203/

American lifeguard Association – July 21, 2022, at 9:31 a.m.

You delivered such an impressive piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared. lifeguard certification near me

SEO Backlinks1 – July 30, 2022, at 2:45 a.m.

Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also prodentim review

SEO Backlinks1 – July 31, 2022, at 1:54 a.m.

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! who is calling me from this number

SEO Backlinks1 – Aug. 03, 2022, at 2:55 a.m.

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. ortaklığın giderilmesi davası

SEO Backlinks1 – Aug. 11, 2022, at 2:06 a.m.

L'environnement commercial d'aujourd'hui est plus compétitif que jamais. Par conséquent, de nombreuses personnes ressentent la pression de la réussite. Cela peut conduire à une augmentation des niveaux de stress, ce qui peut avoir un impact négatif sur notre santé physique et mentale. Pour aider nos employés à faire face à cette pression, Startupo propose une formation sur la gestion du stress. Le cours couvre une variété de sujets, y compris comment identifier les signes de stress, comment gérer notre temps efficacement, et comment faire face au stress sur le lieu de travail. En suivant ce cours, les employés apprendront à mieux gérer leur niveau de stress et à rester en bonne santé mentale et physique. formation gestion du stress

SEO Backlinks1 – Aug. 12, 2022, at 1:47 a.m.

Il n'y a aucun doute que Startupo est le meilleur centre de formation en France. Des instructeurs expérimentés et compétents aux installations ultramodernes, tout à Startupo est conçu pour vous aider à tirer le meilleur parti de votre formation. Les programmes de formation de Startupo sont conçus pour répondre aux besoins de chaque étudiant, et le personnel est toujours disponible pour fournir un soutien et des conseils. De plus, le centre de formation est situé au cœur de Paris, ce qui vous permet d'accéder facilement à toutes les meilleures attractions de la ville. Que vous cherchiez à améliorer vos compétences en langue française ou à en apprendre davantage sur la culture française, Startupo est l'endroit idéal pour vous. https://startupo.fr/course/296/

SEO Backlinks1 – Aug. 13, 2022, at 2:13 a.m.

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. catchy names for a fitness business

SEO Backlinks1 – Aug. 22, 2022, at 1:17 a.m.

CFB-Create Fashion Brand is a leading clothing manufacturer company in Portugal. CFB is a company that specializes in the design and manufacture of high-quality apparel. The company has made it a priority to create garments that are environmentally friendly. Clothing Manufacturers